Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Portraits with Horses Part 2

Last evening I did a photo shoot of my sister with her horses. This was the 1st with her and we did it at their house. I shot 968 pics! It took about 3 hours. She liked 45 of them well enough to post to FB. I am realizing that picture taking with horses and girls takes some magic :)

This is probably my favorite shot of her with a horse.

These shots show what a little saturation adjustment can do for your pics!

Don't pass up an opportunity for a good shot (even if the horse isn't present:)

I will not be showing any blooper pics due to the sensitive nature of 17 year olds. Although I must say we had some good laughs reviewing the pics for the 1st time. As I said before, take lots of pics! They will not all be great or even good, but we were saved several times by the number of shots for each pose. Her smile changed just a little, her eyes were open, the horses ears were up.....

A few tips:

Know the poses you want to try and share them with the subject.

Just hang out and pay attention. Sometime great shots just happen on their own.

3 hours is toooo long. She had a wardrobe and horse change, but my neck is still tired.

Have a GREAT helper! In this case I had 2. One to fetch stuff and one to hold the horse/make the horse perk up.

Don't set high expectations. 968 shots down to 45. Not great odds, but ones I am very happy with. I had told her that if she got a few that she was happy with that we had done good.


We will do this again. It is fun and the potential for exceptional pics is there. She will be needing senior pics soon and this was a practice run for that. We learned some things and will try and make adjustments next time. Remember that horses are animals and not props. Try and get their personality as well!

Good luck and happy shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment